Into The Heart Of East Africa-Kenya(Day5,6)

Day 5


We’re awaken as early as the first birds rise to go on another quick safari before we embark on our trip to an orphan boarding school and a visit to the Masai Mara village. It’s exciting, adrenaline courses through my veins yet some of the other children are still sleepy. Not so surprisingly this time only the early birds, buffalos and warthogs are awake, grazing silently as a cold gust of wind swifts through the trees. Speaking of trees, they had a strange tree they called the ‘sausage tree’, at first I didn’t think I heard the name quite right. It wasn’t an actual sausage but the tree bore something that was shaped like a sausage, apparently the people in Kenya used it to make alcohol.

Furthermore, we arrive at the school that is located only 10-15 minutes away from the camp. There was nothing special about it. The school carried the same grey colour with some pictures painted on them; a map of the world, a map of Africa and a tree that was drawn there to be covered by many hand stamps. The classrooms are small, tiny and filled with at least forty students who had only a few tables to share with each other. The students themselves wore navy blue shorts and light blue shirts that were ripped at the sleeves though they covered it by wearing a dark blue sweater. Nevertheless, they were cheerful, happy and very friendly.

 We decide to play a football match with them and they were eager to play. When asked where their field was, I was answered by an area that was full of cow dung, the goals were placed diagonally and were made of wood and did not have nets on them. The kids decided to play barefoot, however I was still looking forward to playing against a joyful group of mixed aged kids; some older and some younger. We’re short one player and so one of their own plays on our team. The opening goal is scored by him but our teams’ happiness didn’t last long as the ball was returned to our goal; a tie. Second goal is for them as well, an accidental own goal from one of our defenders as it bounces of his knee and into the goal. Pressure builds up and we score just in time to tie it at two each. The game is taken lightly and everyone’s still happy.

 After a few group photos with children who were happy with what they have, we dreadfully have to leave. Next stop-the Masai Mara village. We’re greeted by a man covered in a blood red cloth of wool. Similarly they’re all dressed the more or less the same, the children there play with each other as the man takes us on a little tour. As soon as we arrive, women move towards us, elatedly dancing and singing in their native tongue, surely we feel a part of their tribe. Shortly after men accompany them but in a more aggressive manner, they can make you feel as if you were their prey.

 We’re told they have a tradition, more of a theory I personally think, that the higher you jump with the tribesmen, the more girlfriends or wives you will have in the future. I volunteer first, and jump with a man taller than me; after looking through photos I realise I’m just about as high as him. Great, more wives for me. Moving on, we’re taken to the centre of the village, the huts are placed in a circular fashion for protection against predators or robbers as explained by the woolen man. Huts are covered in cow dung, obviously brown covered. We’re shown the way they live as well as how they create fire out of dung. Apparently it’s lucky if you stand on dung…I rather not. Their world seems exiled out of ours, almost as if that circle of theirs is all they have. Before we leave, we pass by a traditional market at the village that contained masks, lion teeth and elephant bone bracelets.

 Shortly after lunch at the camp, we’re on for our last safari to see probably the only animal we haven’t seen so far; giraffes. Since they are the tallest animals in the park, you’d think they would be at the widest plains but instead they’re in a small valley-like area were most of the trees are present. They munch on and we move on back to the camp for dinner and some good sleep after a day full of events.


Day 6


Since this was a brief day because much of it was spent travelling back to the airport and leaving back to Dubai, I figured I’d add it to day five. We check out early in the morning after breakfast and pack into our vans for a six hour drive back. On the way to the airport we stop at a restaurant for lunch. What makes this restaurant different is not only is it called ‘Carnivore’ but it also serves just about every kind of meat. Turkey, cow, ostrich, crocodile and a load of others; personally I just thought it was nasty. After a few laughs we’re at the airport checking in, taking with us our special memories never to be forgotten and taking with us a part of Africa. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience though what I’ve written above doesn’t even come close to Kenya’s true beauty and experiences.         

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

P.s, I finally figured out how to make a slidshow instead of pictures being randomly pasted in posts, sorry if it was too long but I coul’ve written much more to be honest, either way, enjoy! 🙂


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s